Thursday 18 July 2019

Questions

Apologies in advance if this post sounds gloomy.

Lately I have been questioning my web presence. So many authors say you need a website, a blog, a Facebook page, a Twitter account, an Instagram account, a mailing list, and more. But do you?

With the algorithms the way they are on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, I find myself not reaching that many people with my posts. I had two pages on Facebook, one for posts about my dog, Archie, and the books I've written about him. The second page was for posts about my novelettes, which I've recently unpublished (the Facebook page that is, rather than the novelettes ha ha).

If you're an indie author and thereby having to do everything yourself, then keeping everything up-to-date on your various social media accounts, your website, and blog, can be time consuming. And it's a bit soul destroying if you're not reaching many people with your posts. How do you reach more people? Well Facebook want you to pay for ads. There's no budget for that Facebook!

Now from a reader point of view, I rarely look up an author's website, or blog. I don't sign up for newsletters. I simply search on Amazon to see if my favourite author's got a new book out.

I do enjoy following some authors on Twitter, and there-in lies the answer I think. I love Twitter. It's my favourite forum, so I think I will concentrate on that account more now. 

I will also keep the Archie page on Facebook, as I do have followers who post regularly and who seem to enjoy learning what Archie's up to. And I enjoy posting about him, and again, there-in lies the answer - to use the social media I enjoy.

For image-led social media, I had a short foray on Instagram, but I never really got it. I've still got an account on there, but I won't be posting for the time being - possibly never again.

I'm also on Pinterest, and although I'm not entirely sure how it works, I enjoy posting pictures on there, so I will keep the account.

As for the blog/website debate, I'm considering designing a website, but whether I'll have that and a blog I don't know. I will keep you updated regarding any future changes. And on that cheery note, I'll say goodbye for now.

Helen x

New website

Happy Autumn! As I mentioned in my last post, I've been busy working on my new website for the last couple of months. I'm launching ...